Monday, August 6, 2012


Acts 4:29-30 “And now, Lord, look at their threats, and grant to your servants to speak your word with all boldness, while you stretch out your hand to heal, and signs and wonders are performed through the name of your holy servant, Jesus.”

These verses come at the end of a tale about persecution.  The chief priests and elders had pulled some of the disciples in for preaching and healing in Jesus’ name.  They had to acknowledge that the healing was true and they knew to be careful in how they treated the disciples because all of the people praised God for what had happened.  As I read these verses today I realized not much has changed since this story.  As long as people stay within the boundaries of “normal” worship, we are blessed to be free of persecution.  There are some who are more on the fringes of normal that we tend to raise an eyebrow at or choose not to be associated with.  Groups that participate in laying on of hands for healing, speaking in and interpretation of tongues; these are outside of my personal experience.   They are not the “norm”. As I study these words in Acts, I wonder if we haven’t stepped too close to being in line with the chief priests and elders.  If we spoke his word in boldness, what would happen?  What incredible wonders are we missing out on because we do not speak?  Do we disregard or mock the very ones who are living out this calling?

Lord,
I live my life with blinders on.  I see what I want to see and go only where my limited sight leads me.  Give me courage and sight to live in boldness.  I have received amazing healing through your word and your grace.  Help my sharing, in boldness, bring healing to others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment