Wednesday, June 18, 2014


When I read this psalm this morning, it took a little bit of persistence and perspective.
The first three verses are all the same; “O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.” Then every odd numbered verse states that his steadfast love endures forever.  The final verse of this Psalm tells us once more to give thanks for his steadfast love.
On the surface the verses seem very disjointed and disconnected.  There is hardly a complete thought before this mantra steps in again.  It is tempting to just skip over that repeated part and just read the other parts but I would be missing the point, I think.
Intertwined with all things; all activities, all doings, all thoughts there is an underlying truth.  When I am doing dishes, shopping for groceries, mopping floors, teaching, making music, whatever it is, the underlying truth remains that God is good and his steadfast love endures forever.
No matter what today holds, let’s give thanks to the Lord.  He is good and his steadfast love endures forever!

Lord,

Thank you for this mantra.  My soul can whisper these words all day and all night.  When other thoughts begin to take over, help me undergird them with this one.  At the core of everything is this truth I hold in my heart today.  I thank you Lord, for you are good and your steadfast love endures forever.  Hallelujah and Amen!  

No comments:

Post a Comment