Monday, May 27, 2013

Proverbs 8:10-11 “Take my instruction instead of silver, and knowledge rather than choice gold; for wisdom is better than jewels, and all that you may desire cannot compare with her.”

We are in the process of sorting through stuff.  When I got married we combined all our stuff and since then we have accumulated more stuff.  Every time I go down to the basement the old adage “you can’t take it with you” echoes in my mind.  I have collections that have not seen the light of day in years and when I look around my house there is not a place to put them if I were to set them out on display.    It seems to be a common desire to want to gather more things, more treasure, and more money.  These tangible treasures make us feel worth more, I think.  These verses in Proverbs tell me something different.  If everything was gone, all my possessions, my home and my bank account what would I have left?  I would have the love of the Lord, my relationship with God and the knowledge and wisdom He has given me.  No matter what happens in this life, we will always have those internal gifts that are God given, thank the Lord!

Lord,
You tell us your kingdom is not of this world and these verses clearly remind us of that.  Help us seek true treasure through you and your Spirit rather than clinging to the earthly treasure that only lasts for a moment of time.  Thank you for your instruction and your guidance.  They keep us walking forward to a deeper and stronger faith in you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment