Tuesday, May 7, 2013


Mark 6:34 “As he went ashore, he saw a great crowd; and he had compassion for them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and he began to teach them many things.”

Compassion is a beautiful thing.  Just saying or thinking the word brings softness to my heart and focus to my mind.  I get wrapped up in my daily tasks, wanting to check off each thing on my list and get things accomplished.  I get irritated when things or people get in the way of those tasks being crossed off.  What would it have been like if Jesus came to shore with my mindset?  He would have been annoyed that the people would not give him his quiet time.  He would have been frustrated that they were so needy and couldn’t seem to get along for even a little while without him.  I am glad that He was filled with compassion for them and that He is filled with compassion for us today.  I hope this story will guide my heart today as I teach my children, as I clean my home and as I prepare to make music for others this evening.  All these things can be done with a heart of compassion.  We, too, are like sheep.  Let’s follow our good shepherd and share the compassion he gives us with those around us.

Lord,
Thank you for your teachings and your unending compassion for us.  Write your message of love and compassion on our hearts so we learn it well from you.  Soften our hearts in compassion for others as we follow you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment