Friday, May 24, 2013

James 1:19-20 “You must understand this, my beloved, let everyone be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger; for your anger does not produce God’s righteousness.”

I only have to turn on the TV to find anger.  I only need to listen to my children bicker over toys or treats or any trivial thing to feel anger in myself.  This morning as I was trying to sit in silence, waiting for the Lord it became crystal clear to me why this practice is called a discipline.  We do not learn this in our society at all.  There is no silence and there is very little listening at all.  We learn to wait; we learn not to interrupt but that is not the same as listening.  I will be giving a direction or information to my daughter and cannot even finish a sentence before she has begun talking over me.  She has pointed out a few times recently that I also interrupt her.  This is how our society works.  As I prepare to teach reading, writing and arithmetic today I tuck this scripture in my heart so that, by God’s grace, I may do better at listening and not so much speaking.  Maybe this will keep frustration and anger at bay...

Lord,
Your word is my guide, thank you!  You know each of our struggles and frustrations.  Help us stop and truly listen.  Open our ears to hear your soothing voice; open our eyes to see your love in each other and open our hearts to receive the guidance you so freely offer.  As I strive to live in righteousness let me remember to forgive others and to receive forgiveness when we fall short.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment