Monday, December 10, 2012


Psalm 37:23-24 “Our steps are made firm by the Lord, when he delights in our way; though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand.”

My little boy loves to run.  He has so much energy and zest for life, it seems he just has to get wherever he is going in a hurry.  When he gets in too big a hurry, running faster than he can really manage, he stumbles and falls.  Then, of course, he comes running to me for comfort and kisses.  When I read this passage I almost laughed.  How long will it take for me to learn not to run faster than I can really manage?  I have learned to hold the hand of the Lord most of the time and I know he has kept me from falling headlong more times than I can count.  Yet, the temptation to run ahead is still there.  As we move forward closer to the stable on Christmas night, I am tempted to let go and run as fast as I can to see the newborn king.  Am I ready?  Am I truly prepared to receive the king of my heart?  These verses gently remind me to stay the course.  Keep my steps firmly guided by the Lord on my journey to Bethlehem.  God is delighted that I want to go; that I am headed in that direction but I need to hold his hand lest I get ahead of myself again.  Will you join me in the journey, step by step, to see the small babe wrapped in swaddling cloth and lying in a manger?  Hold my hand; hold His hand and we can walk there together.

Lord,
I want to delight you.  I want to make you beam with pride in the steps I take.  Thank you for the reminder that I need to hold your hand every step of the way.  It is you that keeps me from falling and I thank you and praise you for this blessed assurance.  Prepare my heart as I journey with you to the stable in Bethlehem once again.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment