Thursday, December 27, 2012


Galatians 6:2 “Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”

I know there have been a few opportunities in the last weeks for me to hold a door for someone whose arms were full or carry a package or box for someone trying to balance so many things.  I see people helping elderly or disabled people across icy parking lots and supporting them as they walk on uneven ground.  Cooking meals for someone who is ill or taking their kids for a day so they can rest is a simple way to lift a burden from another person.  There are so many tangible ways to fulfill the law of Christ by bearing another’s burdens.  I have found that praying for them is as powerful as any tangible assistance I give.  The power of prayer not only changes the person I am praying for but it also changes me. Being in the presence of the Almighty is always renewing and healing and when I move out of prayers for others I feel burdens lifted from my heart as well.  I want to encourage all of us to reach out and ease the burdens of others.  Open the door for someone; help someone with their heavy bags of groceries.  Give some groceries to someone who does have any.  Most of all lift those you love and those you don’t love in prayer.  I will pray for you and I ask that you pray for me.  As we bear each other’s burdens, we abide in Christ’s love ...love your neighbor as yourself.

Lord,
You call us to look for the least of these and serve them.  Help us to see the burdens we can bear for others and encourage us to step forward in assistance.  Teach our hearts to pray for those we do not know as well as our neighbors and friends so that the power of your love is spread to all through prayer.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment