Saturday, December 22, 2012


Isaiah 6:8 “Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ’Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ and I said, ‘Here am I; send me!’”

I must admit when I read this passage I said a prayer of thanks that I am not called to prophecy.  I would be so much like Jonah, running away from my task, than like Isaiah who is jumping up and down raising his hand.  Can you picture it?  There is a group of kids and the teacher is trying to choose one student to do something.  There are kids sulking low hoping they don’t get chosen and there are some that can barely remain in their seats, bouncing on their bottoms while raising their hands as high as they possibly can.  They are eager and full of hope that they will get a chance to shine.  What if we came to this passage with that same eagerness and hope?  Just a few verses back, in verse 5, Isaiah laments that he is not worthy to gaze upon the Lord of hosts.  Yet he is cleansed and at that moment he is an eager and willing servant.  In just a few days we celebrate Christmas.  If we can muddle through all the wrapping paper and candy and get to the real meaning, it will be a holy day.  This is a perfect time to come to the Lord.  With eagerness and hope we can step into the stable and see the King of kings.  In that moment I want to whisper in his tiny ear “here am I, send me!”

Lord,
You have given and given and... It never stops.  I take and take and do I ever give back?  Thank you for this passage of scripture today.  Thank you for the reminder that I am here to serve you above anything else.  Help me keep focused on you and keep my eyes, ears and heart open to your love.  As I hear you, give me the courage to leap up and say “here am I!”  It is for you that I live.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment