Saturday, September 22, 2012


Nehemiah 5:9 “So I said, ‘The thing that you are doing is not good.  Should you not walk in the fear of our God, to prevent the taunts of the nations our enemies?’”

One nation under God – a part of our pledge to this nation we live in.  There are times I look at how our nation behaves and I cannot imagine that God is pleased.  We have many programs set up to feed the hungry of other nations and yet we starve many in our own nation.  We persecute people in our own nation for different beliefs and fight amongst ourselves over petty things.  I have heard it said that people of other nations think Americans are arrogant and selfish.  I can see why they might think that when I look at our nation.  Bringing the view in closer I see there are many good things that are being done too.  There are food banks in cities to combat the hunger there.  Shelters are set up to house the homeless.  Programs are running to educate those who would not receive education otherwise.  We are a diverse nation with many different desires and beliefs.  I know I could do more to help those around me with less than I have.  When I receive abundance I hope that I remember this verse and share my blessings with others.  Join me this week in buying an extra bag of groceries and giving that to a food bank nearby.  Search your heart as I search mine to see where the Lord is calling each of us to do good things.  Let’s walk in the fear of our God, hand in hand.

Lord,
You bless and we hoard.  You call and we do not answer.  Soften our hearts to the struggles around us and open our hands to share the blessings you have given us.  Let us once more be a nation among nations, honoring you in all we do.  Amen.

2 comments:

  1. This passage speaks to me this morning. I have been so focused on the condition of the heart within the church I did not really think about the heart condition of our country.

    It makes me sad to think the Church, which is Christ's body here on Earth, is supposed to be a transformational force wherever we are located. We can't do that if we mirror what society is doing and saying. Unfortunately, many within the Church have the same heart condition as society.

    The condition is selfishness. We want what we want and how we want it. We have hardened out hearts to the Truth in the Gospel. We have "punched" our ticket and now don't worry that anyone else may perish for all eternity.

    God's love is the key to healing our heart condition. His grace, mercy and compassion is boundless. For His children who call Him Father AND for those who do not yet know Him.

    I have begun to pray the Holy Spirit will bring whatever is necessary to His Church to break our hearts before Him. I pray the Holy Spirit will bring about a time of repentance in His Church and then moving forward God's people will continue to humble themselves before the Lord, seeking renewed forgiveness, grace, and mercy. When we have done with our confession and repentance - may we then dance with JOY and share the Truth of God's love with every one in our sphere of influence. John says in 1 John chapter 4 that we are to love not in word or speech, but in truth and action. Love people in tangible ways.

    We are a hard headed and even more stubborn people. Lord God Almighty, send Your Holy Spirit to convict us of all we must confess and repent. Then Holy Spirit fill us to full and overflowing with Your love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness, goodness, and self-control. For against these things there is no law. Amen.

    ReplyDelete