Tuesday, September 11, 2012


Acts 8:32: “Now the passage of the scripture that he was reading was this’ Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter and like a lamb silent before its shearer, so he does not open his mouth.’”

How often do I silently and willingly sacrifice anything without as much as a word?  This verse comes from a passage about a eunuch reading scripture and trying to understand it.  As I read this story and this verse kept coming to me, I realized that when I give sacrificially, I am often tempted to either bemoan my sacrifice or boast about it.  The prophet Isaiah saw the sacrificial love in Jesus and how he was led to slaughter just as so many lambs had been led to slaughter in atonement for sin.  The difference is that Jesus became the ultimate sacrifice.  After his death and resurrection the need to sacrifice for atonement was erased! He gave his life so that I can live, so that everyone can live.  Jesus brought so much to this world in his life on earth, the barrier he shattered with his death cannot be forgotten.  Because of Him I can come to the feet of God in prayer; I come clean and holy.  Because of Him I am able to lift my eyes to the Lord and know help will come.  I will give all I have because He gave all for me.  When I look at this again, what can I say, what words need to be said?  My gift is to the Lord.  Let it be between me and my God.

Lord God,
Forgive my selfishness.  So many times I do not see it at all; I need you to open my eyes.  Help my journey with you be between you and I and the sharing of that journey with others only bring blessings to them.  I am not a sacrificial lamb; I am your willing servant, saved by grace.  Help me share that grace and the story of it.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment