Friday, September 14, 2012

James 3:16-17 “For where there is envy and selfish ambition, there will also be disorder and wickedness of every kind.  But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without a trace of partiality or hypocrisy.”

What motivates you?  We spend a large portion of our youth studying, gaining knowledge and learning how to accomplish things.  We find something we are good at or something we like and our daily lives are spend doing what we have learned and know well.  It is tempting to look around and see that the grass is greener somewhere else.  Then we begin to strive for more, feeding our selfish desires, wanting to succeed at everything we do.  It is when we stop focusing on who we serve and begin focusing on ourselves that we become envious and driven by our own ambition.  As these verses tell us, that can only lead to destruction.  True wisdom comes from God, not from our own beings.  The world tells us that we can achieve success if we strive for it and work hard.  Success to me is this: knowing at the end of the day I served the Lord.  If I manage to keep my ambition and my desires at bay, if I seek the guidance of God my success does not matter.  I have sought true wisdom instead of relying on my own.  This brings good fruit!

Lord of Wisdom,
We deceive ourselves if we believe we have knowledge.  It is only through your Spirit that we are given wisdom and knowledge.  Guide our steps and focus our drive on true wisdom producing good fruits for your kingdom.  Let us not seek our own ambitions but in humility seek to serve you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment