Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight.”

I have a plan.
I like having plans and I like it when my plan goes as expected.  How often does this happen?  That is a different story.  When I am structuring my plan around the plan God has for me, it usually goes fairly well.  When I stray from his plan and stubbornly search for my own way... not so much.
The kids in our neighborhood will be on spring break next week.  I usually try to give my daughter break during the same times so we are not trying to have school while all of her neighborhood friends are free to play.  When we have a day or two of struggle through school I always question whether or not a break is a good idea.
My daughter, like me, loves to make plans.  Yesterday she told me she has already planned out all of next week.  Huh?  How can an eight year old plan without consulting the grown up?  I felt my ire go up as soon as she told me she had made plans.  Her actions and words say that she thinks she is in charge.  It takes all of my strength not to remind her in unkind and unloving ways that she is not in charge.
How often does God feel like this with me?  I take the reins and go rushing forth with my plans, forgetting that I am not in charge.  I still need to learn to trust in the Lord with all my heart and do not rely on my own insight.

Lord,
My desire to control has reared its ugly head again.  Please forgive me and help me learn well how to trust in you and stop leaning in my own ways.  As I learn this, help my children also learn this so that we all glorify you in our actions and our words.  I pray this through Jesus, our Lord and Savior.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment