Monday, March 24, 2014

Luke 4:16 “When he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, he went to the synagogue on the Sabbath day, as was his custom...”

Where is your home?
I have heard it said that Jesus did not have a home and when I think about his life here on earth I would concur.  He was born in Bethlehem but did not really live there.  The family settled briefly but had to flee to Egypt and they stayed there until it was safe to come back to Israel.  Did Jesus feel like Nazareth was home?
I have lived in Colorado all of my life.  In fact, if I drew a circle with a 50 mile radius around Denver, every place I have lived would be in that circle with room to spare.  Denver, Colorado is my home.  When I go visit my Dad, who lives in the house I grew up in, am I home?  When I walk in the door to the house I live in now, am I home?  Where is my true home?
Home is where my heart is, so I have heard.  That might change where my home is then.  My heart and soul is not in Denver Colorado.  It does not long to remain in the house of my childhood or even in the house I live in now.  My heart longs to live in the Lord.  Home is in the Lord.
Jesus may not have had a home on earth but He has a home and he calls us to come live with him.  His home is our home if we are willing to come.

Lord,
These words do not flow easily today; help them speak despite their weakness.  As we search our hearts during this season of Lent, help us remember that we are at home in you, no matter what we do, or, where we go.  We are always welcome home in you through your love and mercy; through your amazing grace.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment