Saturday, March 22, 2014

John 6:32-33 “Then Jesus said to them, ‘Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven.  For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.’”

The Israelites thought they were starving to death so Moses prayed to God for help.  God sent manna, bread from heaven, to feed his people.  Jesus reminds the people listening to his lesson in this passage, that Moses did not feed the people, God fed the people.  Now, God has sent bread from heaven again, this time to save us forever.
I love the smell of fresh baked bread.  Even if I am not hungry the aroma makes my mouth water and my tummy growl.  Bread nourishes our bodies.  It feeds us and gives us energy to sustain us during the day.  Without some source of bread, we struggle to find a source of food that will do for us what bread will do.
How much more do we need the bread of heaven?
He nourishes our soul and gives us energy to sustain our souls.  Just the thought of him, the “aroma” of his everlasting love and mercy, make my heart and soul hunger for him.  If you have not tasted this precious bread, I encourage you to try it.  There is nothing like it in this world.  If you have tasted, let us come again to receive renewal and nourishment from the Bread of Life!

Lord,
Thank you for these words of John.  Thank you for feeding us eternal nourishment so that we can abide with you and in you forever.  I pray for those who do not partake, those who cannot hear your voice, or smell the aroma of your love.  Open their souls to receive you and life in abundance through you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment