Monday, March 3, 2014

Philippians 4:4 “Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.”

Sometimes we need new perspective.
When my kids are having a day filled with unhappiness and general grumpiness I have them take a few moments and think of the good things of the day.
When we are grumpy, sad or angry it can be hard to find things to be happy about.  I ask my kids to find five good things about the day.  It helps them gain new perspective.
I can turn on the television and watch the news, allowing it to fill me with dread and despair; that is easy to do.  The challenge is to watch the news and find reasons for rejoicing.  Beyond the special interest stories that the news stations throw in for a bit of light in the midst of the heavy, there are reasons to rejoice in the Lord.
I struggle to remember that the Lord has his hand in all things when I see battles and wars, tensions in countries near and far.  I struggle to rejoice when friends and family suffer.  When I struggle I try to remember that I do not see as the Lord sees.  Only he knows from beginning to end and we only have a glimpse, a small piece of the whole picture.
I need to rely on my faith in God.  Regardless of what is going on in my small world or the whole world, I trust in the Lord.  When I hold on to that trust and faith, I am able to rejoice in the Lord, I am able to rejoice always.

Lord,
You know all, I do not.  It is clear as I study your word and learn more of you, that we have all the reason to rejoice and no reason to worry.  Help us gain new perspective so we can rejoice in you always.  I pray this in your holy name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment