Saturday, January 11, 2014

Psalm 119:66-67 “Teach me good judgment and knowledge, for I believe in your commandments.  Before I was humbled I went astray, but now I keep your word.”

I went astray but now I keep your word.
I would love to say I have learned good judgment and have knowledge but I would be deceiving myself.  I can say I am learning good judgment and am gaining knowledge all through the grace and Spirit of God.
How do we know when someone has good judgment?  They make wise choices and live their lives according to God’s word and guidance.  Being able to discern, having good judgment is a gift from God, nothing we own within our own selves.  It grows in us as we grow in the Lord. 
The same is true with knowledge.  How can we learn or gain knowledge in the Lord if we do not spend time with the Lord?  How many years did I waste dipping my toes in the water before I finally jumped in with both feet?
This Psalm is a prayer and meditation about following the law of God.  It is about learning and doing as we are taught and finding the blessings of obedience.
I am reminded that through Christ the law I must learn is to love God and love my neighbor.  I go into today striving to live in obedience to this law of Christ.

Lord,
You have written your word on our hearts, your word promises this to be true.  Help us listen to that voice, those words and your teachings that we know as we work and play on this day that you have made.  Keep us from going astray, guide us in truth and love so we do all things in glory to your Holy name.  I ask all these things through our Savior and teacher, Jesus Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment