Monday, January 6, 2014

Any feedback on this new format would be appreciated!

Matthew 13:45-46 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls; on finding one pearl of great value, he went and sold all that he had and bought it.”

What is your most prized possession?

I have a doll that was my grandmother’s when she was a small child.  I have a doll collection with over one hundred dolls in it.  What is yours?  We have nice homes, nice cars, the newest technologies, the most awesome memento from our most recent vacation... or is it something less tangible?

I do not possess or own my family but I treasure them most in my life.  I cannot imagine my life without them.  There are many stories of families splitting over ideologies and beliefs, I hope mine never does.  There is something else, something more...my secrets.  My deepest thoughts and struggles, maybe I treasure those most since I share them with no one but God.   Would I give these up for the kingdom?

Here is something else to ponder:  Is Jesus saying we need to be willing to give up all for the kingdom or is He saying God already gave up all to bring the pearl of great value into the kingdom?  He found one pearl of great value, sold all that he had and bought it.  Jesus bought us with his life, death and resurrection.  Are we the pearls of great value?  I believe we are.  You and I are the pearls of great value!  God gave everything to have us in his kingdom, what a beautiful thought to hold in our hearts today.  As you experience this day, see yourself and each person in this new light.  We are all treasured pearls of great value to our God – amazing!

Lord,
Help me release the grip I hold on my things; my treasures so that I can take hold of your kingdom more fully.  There is nothing I want more in the depths of my heart than to be with you.  Open my eyes to see myself and others as the pearls of great value in your kingdom.  You gave everything for even just one of us, for just one, for just me.  I thank you God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment