Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Hebrews 2:1”Therefore we must pay greater attention to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away from it.”

I have not swum in the ocean for years but I remember some things about my experiences in those deep waters.
Once when I was old enough to be a good swimmer but young enough to enjoy playing in the ocean my sisters and I went out a little way.  We couldn't touch the sand with our feet but we knew how to tread water so we were fine.  What I didn't realize was the tide was pulling us further away from shore.  By the time I realized it we had much more swimming to do that we thought when we wanted to get back to shore.
We were not paying close attention and we drifted away.
This verse in Hebrews warns us of the same thing in our spiritual lives.
We learn and grow in our faith until we think we know what we are doing.  We go out into the world and think we are doing swimmingly (I couldn't pass that one up).  We do not realize we have drifted away.  We get lulled into complacency and when we look we are much farther out than we thought we were.
If you have drifted out, come back.  If you are still near pay close attention just as the writer of Hebrews encourages us to so we do not drift into dangerous waters.

Lord,
Your word is our guide and your Spirit is our protector.  Help us stay close and not drift away from your truth and life. As we grow in our faith give us the courage to step out but let this verse whisper in our ear to pay close attention.  I ask these blessings in the name of my Savior, Jesus, the Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment