Saturday, January 18, 2014

1 John 2:15, 17 “Do not love the world or the things in the world.  The love of the Father is not in those who love the world; And the world and its desire are passing away, but those who do the will of God live forever.”

I cannot stop thinking about the recent rash of school violence that has been in the news.  I hadn't heard about it a few days ago but now as I am aware, it continues on an almost daily basis.
I have written about the world and its darkness many times and here I am again.  Darkness looms large in this world, there is no doubt.
My heart breaks for the children who live in fear that their school, their friends, their sister or brother might be the next one to fall.  My heart breaks for the families and children already touched by violence in their home or school.
I realize there are children around the world that would give anything to live in the security we have here, our fears are nothing compared to theirs.  If I stay in this place of fear, I begin to be filled with fear and fear is of this world.
Instead of allowing the fears of this world to overtake us, I call us to lift our fears and worries, lift our concerns and dismays, lift our outrage and anger up to the Lord.  Our hope comes from him and John reminds us that the world and its ways are passing away.  The Love and Light of God and those who live in Him will remain and live forever.  I cling to this hope.

Lord,
You know our heartaches and our fears.  I ask you to remove fear and anger from our hearts before they overtake us and replace those with your peace and love.  I pray for all those children who live in fear that they too will receive the blessing of your peace and love in place of fear and doubt.  As we wait for your kingdom to be complete, give us the strength we need to persevere and the hope and trust we need to live in you forever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment