Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1 Samuel 7:12 “Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Jeshanaha, and named it Ebenezer; for he said, ‘Thus far the Lord has helped us.’”

I woke up in the middle of the night and then again this morning with the song “Come Thou Fount of Every Blessings” running through my mind.
When I finally got up to start my quiet time I looked up the scripture reference for the song and this is where I was led.
Ebenezer means stone of help and Samuel placed the stone as a reminder to the Israelites that God had helped them defeat the Philistines and to remind them to remain faithful to the God who remained faithful to them.
I never understood that word in the song lyrics and I know it will mean even more to me the next time I sing it.  The song is a beautiful prayer and I encourage you to look it up and read all the words but ponder this for a moment:
How do you see the fount of Jesus?  How do you see the blessings and presence of the Lord helping you?
Is He like a stream flowing gently and calmly, allowing you to drink in peacefully what he brings to you?  Is He a cascading water fall or fountain that sprays water all around and calls to you with a thunderous beat to come and bathe in the shower of blessings?
What is your Ebenezer, your stone of help, that reminds you of the Lord and his faithful blessings to you?
I leave you with the lyrics from the first verse of this prayer song this morning.
Come, Thou Fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy, never ceasing,
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above.
Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,
Mount of Thy redeeming love.”

Lord,
What a beautiful song.  Help us find and set our stone of help so we always remember from whom our blessings flow.  Help us lift our voices in praise to you with this song or with any song so that we bless you as you have blessed us.  Thank you for all you have given and continue to give to each of us, You are and unending fountain of love and grace.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment