Sunday, January 26, 2014

Mark 13:5-6 “Then Jesus began to say to them, ‘Beware that no one leads you astray.  Many will come in my name and say, ‘I am he!’ and they will lead many astray.’”

Stranger danger.
We teach our kids about stranger danger to keep them safe and hope they are never led away into danger.  Do we practice this in our own lives?
Every now and then I remind my daughter of the ground rules for stranger danger and between myself and her (typically oldest child) my son receives that same training.  I cannot watch them every second of the day so I pray that the training they received and the voice of caution in their hearts will protect them if the time ever arises.
When was the last time we, as adults, checked in with the voice of caution in our hearts?  We are so busy with our work schedules and church schedules and social networks and on and on.  We lament about the things going on in the world and there is much we could lament about but do we check in with the Spirit, our counselor and guide?
It is only through his protection and guidance that we stand a chance of keeping safe from the ‘strangers” lurking.  If we are not tuning in now it will be even more difficult to tune in when we really need it.
I need to revisit stranger danger with my kids again, it is time. 
I need to revisit stranger danger in my soul again, it is time.

Lord,
I get such a heavy heart when I meditate on this message.  There are so many that I pray would be protected and safe but I know your word says many will be led astray.  Let these words reach some into protection so fewer will be lost, I pray this through my Lord, Jesus the Christ.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment