Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Proverbs 4:20-21 “My child, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings.  Do not let them escape from your sight; keep them within your heart.”

I need to write these verses on a sticky note and post them to my bathroom mirror.  There are times I am going along in my day and just when I need it most, the words of the Lord sneak into my mind and bring me strength, comfort or healing.  His words help me fight the thoughts that threaten to drag me down and they help me guide my own heart to safety and the hearts of my children.  Words are powerful; they can build up and they can tear down.  Do the words I use with my children build up or tear down?  I hate to admit that, at times, my words tear down.  My emotions get the best of me and I say things without thinking through them first.  I am not one to fly off the handle, as they say, but I need to be more attentive to His words and I need to be more attentive to my words.  As I learn to keep more of His words in my heart and do not allow them to escape from my sight I hope I will have better words for my children. 

Lord,
Help me keep my tongue in check.  Your words bring instruction, correction, help and healing.  Help me use my words for the same purposes.  Protect my heart from painful words said to me and keep me from using words to inflict pain on anyone else.  I ask you to write these words on my heart so that I always remember them and live by them.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment