Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Ephesians 6:13 “Therefore take up the whole armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand on that evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.” 

I do not have the personality of a warrior.  The passages that speak about God being my fortress and my protection speak much more easily to my heart.  I have always shied away from conflict and continue to do my best to keep peace.  There are times, though, that we are called up to the front lines.  The battle Paul writes about is not a physical fight with other humans, per se.  We need the armor of God to protect us from spiritual warfare.  As we prepare for battle we do not know when or where it will be but we must be ready.  Paul encourages spiritual discipline with this passage.  The gospel of peace, belt of truth, sword of the Spirit; these defenses will be strengthened and available through discipline.  Just as our soldiers learn and practice to use the defenses they are given for battle we also need diligent practice to keep our defenses at the ready.  I will stay in the fortress and protection of my Lord and God for as long as I can but when he calls me to battle, I will go out for him knowing he has given me the weapons and defenses I need to overcome the enemy.

Lord,
I do not like war; you have given me a spirit of peace.  Help me learn what I need to in order to serve you in peace and in battles.  You are my protection and my comfort.  Help me trust that you will lead me where I need to go.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment