Sunday, June 2, 2013

Luke 1:46-47 “And Mary said, ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,’”

Magnifying glasses are cool.  I remember playing with the one my grandparents had when I was a child.  My sisters and I would take turns and it was fun to see how far away we could get and still see clearly.  I liked to see if I could find that perfect distance of clarity and enlargement.  Boys on my street would use a magnifying glass to concentrate the sunlight in a certain spot, increasing the brightness and warmth of the sun.  When I read this passage the word magnifying practically jumped of the page at me.  It begged me to answer the question:  Does my soul magnify the Lord?  When people gaze through me, do they see the Lord more clearly and larger than they did before?  What do I see when I gaze into my soul?  I cannot comprehend Mary’s situation but the trust and faith she had in the Lord is clear.  I hope that as I continue on my faith journey, I will continue to grow so that my soul will magnify the Lord clearly and my spirit will rejoice ever more in my God and my Savior.

Lord,

We have many tools to help us focus on things more clearly.  As I gaze into the mirror and as I look through my eyeglasses, let these simple tools remind me that my soul needs to magnify you.  Guide my words and deeds in rejoicing so that when others gaze into me, they see you more clearly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment