Monday, June 3, 2013

Galatians 5:13-14 “For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another.  For the whole law is summed up in a single commandment,’ You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’”

Have you ever sat in church and listened to the sermon thinking the pastor must have written this just for you?  Occasionally, I have this experience.  It is like the pastor has been reading my mind and heart and knows exactly what I have been grappling with for the week.  Paul’s letter to the Galatians calls them back to the basics.  I do not know exactly what they were doing or how they were changing their ways, but whatever it was, it was not following the simple gospel message Paul had brought to them.  As I seek a deeper relationship with God, I can see how easy it is to fall into the traps of doing rather than being.  Works are not what keep us in relationship with the Divine; it is our spirit and His Spirit that are in relationship.  We are freed from works and called to spiritual, soul work instead.  We are called to love.

Lord,

Thank you for pastors who are messengers and interpreters of your word.  Thank you for freedom through your grace and the life of Jesus Christ.  Guide me in the steps of your son so that I may learn to love and be loved as he did.  Help me show my love for you by loving others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment