Saturday, June 15, 2013

Genesis 9:11, 13 “I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of a flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth. 13 I have set my bow in the clouds, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.”

It seems we have a fascination with rainbows.  My kids always get excited when I water the garden in the morning because the sun shines right through the spray of water drops and they see a little rainbow.  I used to love seeing “rainbows” when I ran through the sprinklers as a kid.  Kids aren't the only ones who look to the skies for this sign of beauty.  Recently there was a double rainbow nearby my home and I only know this because pictures were plastered all over social media and local news channel webpages.  I catch myself searching the skies whenever I see clouds and the sun shining at the same time.  Why are we so enthralled with rainbows?  Maybe it is simply because they are so pretty and peaceful.  Maybe it is because they do not come frequently so they are special when we do see them; we do not take them for granted.  Maybe it is the small seed of promise and covenant we still hold in our hearts that we seek to remember in gazing at the beauty of a rainbow.

Lord,
Thank you for the beauty on this earth and thank you for your promises to us.  Open our eyes to see the beautiful signs of love and mercy you send us each day.  Help us see the “rainbows” you give us today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment