Sunday, June 23, 2013

Luke 11:2 “He said to them, ‘When you pray, say: Father, hallowed be your name.  Your kingdom come.’”

I know people, myself included, who struggle with praying in front of others.  It is a common worry that we don't know what to say or we don’t say it very well.  We struggle with words; we are not eloquently spoken.  A disciple asks Jesus to teach them how to pray.  Jesus’ response is the Lord’s Prayer.  As I read this passage it became clear very quickly that along the lines words and phrases have been added to the prayer I know.  Even in this first phrase I know it as: Our Father, whom art in heaven... it goes on with added phrases all through the prayer.  Does that matter?  Do our words make the prayer?  If I come to the Lord with words of beauty but a heart of selfishness, do my words still hold beauty in His eyes?  Regardless of words, our hearts are seeking union with God in prayer.  This is why I believe Jesus taught us to say this phrase first.  Father, Your name is holy.  Your kingdom comes above all else.  This prayer leads us to focus on the Lord and His purposes; then it moves on from there.

Lord,
Help me remember to keep you and your kingdom first and foremost in my heart.  With my priorities straight, the path become clearer to me each day.  Thank you for your teachings and your continued guidance.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment