Sunday, June 16, 2013

Jonah 1:3 “But Jonah set out to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.  He went down to Joppa and found a  ship going to Tarshish; so he paid his fare and went on board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the Lord.” 

What in the world was Jonah thinking?  If he was thinking clearly he would know there is no place to run from the Lord.  He was born and raised a Hebrew, worshiping the “God of Heaven” according to verse 9 of this story.  Of course as we read on, a storm causes all sorts of trouble for the sailors and after doing all they can to save the ship, per Jonah’s request, they throw him overboard.  Jonah ends up saved from drowning by being swallowed by a great fish.  Even in the belly of that fish, Jonah knows God is there.  He prays to the Lord from the belly of the fish with no doubt that he would be heard.  As the story continues Jonah continues to battle wills with God and, of course, loses.  In my life, it is often in retrospect that I can see the will of God is a better choice than mine.  How often have I tried to run away or argue with the Lord about what I should do?  In the end, after near drowning, more arguing and a bit of humble pie, I come to my senses again and realize God is Lord of all, even me.

Lord,
Please forgive my disobedience and arrogance.  Thank you for the reminder of Jonah and the strife he subjected himself to out of disobedience.  Help me follow you in truth and humility this day and tomorrow too.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment