Thursday, January 17, 2013


Psalm 23:1 “The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want.”

This psalm is one I memorized as a child and even though the translations have changed a bit since then, the message has not.  The first verse says it all.  It is not a command, rather a statement of trust.  As the good shepherd that he is, he provides everything I need; I will not be left without anything.  My study bible suggests rewriting this passage in today’s terminology.  Find a different metaphor than shepherd to use.  I did not do a very good job with that.  I cannot think of any really good metaphor, only truth.  The Lord is my Divine Parent; He provides everything I could ever need.  He gives me rest, he sustains me and refreshes me; he restores the very essence of my being.  He guides my path for his glory.  Even though I am surrounded by darkness and evil, I am not afraid because You are with me Lord.  Your guidance and correction bring me comfort in the midst of strife.  You bring me blessings and love, nourishment and renewal in the midst of battle.  You always bring more than enough, you give in abundance.  I have no doubt that your goodness and mercy will always be with me and I will dwell in your Love and Light forever.  For what it is worth, I like David’s version better...

Lord,
Thank you for your love and guidance.  Thank you for the words of the psalmist that bring blessings to our souls.  Your word is our path and your Spirit is our guide.  Help us step out in faith, knowing you are there in all things.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment