Wednesday, January 9, 2013


Proverbs 23:26 “My child, give me your heart, and let your eyes observe my ways.”

Last night was a Mom’s night out with my homeschooling group.  The topic of discussion was building character in our children.  There were many helpful ideas shared and loads of resources referred to but when I come right down to it, I walked away with two things.  The first was to teach by example.  How I treat my children and how I treat others teaches my children character traits.  They learn what they see.  One of the ladies told how she grew up in a house of door slamming.  When her Mom was upset or angry she would slam doors.  As a girl she was not “taught” to slam doors but when she grew up, she says she could slam doors with the best of them.  Children learn what they see.  The word of the Lord is our guide.  As we learn to be children of God, giving Him our hearts and observing His ways, we are able to live according to those ways.  This is the second thing I walked away with.  I need to learn from the Word and I need to teach my children the Word.  As we both learn to walk a little closer to God’s ways, good character will grow.  In the meantime, I need to remember grace.

Lord,
As you allow each day to be a new start for me, help me allow that for all your children as well.  As I realize character building is a lifelong task, open my eyes to observe your ways this day and every day.  Father, my heart is yours.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment