Wednesday, January 16, 2013


Mark 8:15 “And he cautioned them, saying, ‘Watch out – beware of the yeast of the Pharisees and the yeast of Herod.”

At first glance when I read this passage I shook my head at the disciples.  Of course I have the benefit of knowing the whole story before hearing these words so it is easier to decipher their meaning.  Then I realize that deciphering the meaning is the least of the battles.  In the moment I shook my head the yeast of the Pharisee threatened.  When I think of the stories I know about the Pharisees, it seems to me that their yeast might be pride or piety.  Would the yeast of Herod be selfishness or self-righteousness?  I know these human characteristics draw us away from the kingdom of God.  When I am busy looking down on someone I am not looking at them in the love of Christ and when I am busy working on my plans and desires I am not furthering the kingdom of God, I am furthering the kingdom of Sally.  When these grains of yeast begin to grow, it is a recipe for failure.  I come to the Lord today, in humility, asking for cleansing of this bad yeast from my life.

Lord,
Just yesterday I sought to live in love and grace.  Through your guidance there were moments I may have blessed others with those gifts but I know there were moments I did not.  Each day is a new day filled with promise.  Help me take the clean slate, given through forgiveness, and serve you well today.  Remove any yeast of destruction in me, I ask this through Jesus, who lives and reigns forever and ever.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment