Saturday, January 5, 2013


Ecclesiastes 3:1 “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven.”

This passage is familiar to so many people.  I would write the whole thing, verses 1-8 but I would run out of room to write and it would take away the urge for you to read it for yourself.  Two things came to me during the reading and meditation of this passage.  The first is this:  How can we measure time when we live in eternity?  There is no end and so what is the purpose in measuring something eternal?  Measuring time is like measuring a circle.  We can decide to begin at a specific point and measure from there but we simply continue around and around with no end.  My second thought is that in the midst of eternity there are truly times or seasons.  We watch the seasons on earth change, we see the seasons of human life from infant all the way to old age.  What is it time for?  What season is it now?  As the verses lead us is it time to be born or time to die; time to plant or time to reap?  Even in this passage the circle is evident.  As we plant we already begin to think of harvest.  As we break down we have already begun the process to rebuild.  This passage brings hope and peace to me today and I pray that it does for you as well.

Lord,
Thank you for these verses.  Thank you for the bigger picture.  As winter continues on outside, moving closer to spring, so the seasons in my heart continue to move forward.  Help me release the old in order to receive the new.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment