Thursday, November 15, 2012


Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets; I have come not to abolish but to fulfill.”

The laws can be frustrating and sometimes seem unnecessary.  Have you ever been sitting at a red light knowing you could turn right but the sign says you may not turn on red?  As a child I know there were “laws” my parents had that I just could not make sense of and it make them hard to follow.  I cannot imagine trying to keep over 600 laws for my religion, I can see how easy it would be to get so caught up in following the laws that I would forget to live.  This statement of Jesus seems odd.  He picked grain and healed people on the Sabbath.  He preached words that stung the leaders of the church.  What it really comes down to is this:  If we love God with everything we are and have, and we love our neighbors as ourselves we are following the teachings of Jesus and we are fulfilling the law.  The next time I am sitting at one of those intersections where the law just doesn’t make sense to me, I will try to remember this: I cannot see the reasons for the law but I cannot see everything.  Trust and obey, love God and love my neighbor.

Lord,
Thank you for sending Jesus to save us and to fulfill the law.  Help me live as he calls us to; in love.  May all I do and say reflect the love you have given to me onto those around me so that we are all shining in your love.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment