Thursday, November 29, 2012


Matthew 15:18 “but what comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles.”

I cannot tell you how many times as a kid I heard and said “sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me!”  I know I was not very old when I realized what a ridiculous statement that was.  Broken bones will heal within a matter of weeks but the pain and suffering from harsh words can last for years, even for a lifetime.  Words are so powerful and this is one reason I tend to hold my tongue.  I really try to keep the meditations of my heart to myself.  I know I can learn so much more if I do not speak and when I am feeling the need to lash out, I know I may say something I cannot take back and the pain I could cause from a simple statement...  I do not wish to inflict pain.  Part of the drive to get up early in the morning and spend some quiet time with my Lord is to search and cleanse my heart.  I ask Him to bring to light any darkness that lurks and eradicate it from me so that I can go forth into my day filled only with His light and love.  When I allow this to happen, I know the words that come from my mouth are gentler, kinder, more patient.  My words are guided by the Spirit in my heart.  If only I would allow that Spirit to guide my words always.

Lord,
Forgive my sins and the sins of others against me.  Keep my thoughts and tongue in check so that the words of my mouth are always guided by your Holy Spirit. I ask these things of you through Jesus, my Redeemer.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment