Saturday, November 3, 2012


Jonah 4:1-2 “But this was very displeasing to Jonah and he became angry.  He prayed to the Lord ...’for I knew that you are a gracious God and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and ready to relent from punishing.’”

The injustice of it all... these rampant sinners in Nineveh didn't deserve the mercy of God in Jonah’s mind.  He didn't want to give them a warning and he certainly didn't want to see God’s grace given to them if they decided to repent.  When I read Jonah’s story it is easy to see from my bird’s eye view how selfish Jonah is being.  He disobeys God and through the mercy of God he does not drown but is rescued in the belly of a fish.  When Jonah repents and prays to the Lord, God allows Jonah to be delivered to dry land and try again.  Even after just receiving all this grace Jonah cannot bear the thought that others would deserve grace as well.  How often do we listen to a story on the news or read a story in the paper and cry for justice.  As we learn to accept and embrace the grace and forgiveness of God, let us also learn that His grace is for everyone.  Join me in praying for all people to turn from our selfish ways and follow him, seeking his grace and steadfast love.

Lord,
Thank you for not sending me to Nineveh, I fear I may have run away just as Jonah did.  Forgive me for the times I have run from what you call me to do.  Encourage my heart to trust you and know that you are God of all people.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment