Sunday, November 25, 2012


1 Corinthians 4:20 “For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power.”

Ah, the clichés that come to mind as I read this verse.  Talk is cheap, put your money where your mouth is... clichés become what they are because there is truth in them.  We can say we love the Lord until we are blue in the face (there is another one) but unless we live it out, our words are empty.  We must put our energy, our power, into action to back up our words and when we move into action the kingdom of God becomes alive.  His kingdom is not a far off palace in the sky, a destination that we will someday go to.  It is very easy to see it that way.  Someday, when I die, I will go to the Lord and reside with Him but that is a whole different reality.  His kingdom is in the here and now.  He lives in the hearts of his disciples and through his followers his kingdom is manifest today.  This will only happen if we move beyond our words and our speeches and step into action.  We need to show his love and mercy.  We need to live in his peace and righteousness.  We need to serve all of His children.  It is in these actions that others will be drawn into the kingdom of God. 

Lord,
Soften my heart and open my hands to release the power I have and receive your power instead.  It is only through your power that I can serve your kingdom.  Stop my chatter and move me into action.   As you lead, I will follow.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment