Saturday, November 9, 2013

Ruth 1:21 “I went away full, but the Lord has brought me back empty; why call me Naomi when the Lord has dealt harshly with me, and the Almighty has brought calamity upon me?”

Looking from the outside in I could tell Naomi that the Lord did not bring calamity on her and that her life is actually filled with blessings even in the hardships she experienced.  How different is our perspective when we are the ones suffering so deeply though?  She lost her husband and both sons and is left with only her daughter-in-law Ruth to accompany her back to her home of Bethlehem.  She is a widow with nothing; she is truly empty.  What things or people do we grasp onto in order to feel fulfilled?  We have full pantries and full garages and maybe even a full bank account and we rest easy, right?  Still, even then there is a nagging feeling of want.  We experience deep struggles and feel empty regardless of what our possessions are.  It is only when we release all these things and become empty that we can receive the full blessings of the Lord.  I do not wish for anyone to experience what Naomi did but I do wish for us to see the blessings she received in the midst of her suffering.  She was not alone.  Ruth gave her something to live for and God was faithful to them both.

Lord,
In plenty or in want what we really need is you and your love.  Help us see and know this.  Empty our hearts of stuff so that we can receive you in fullness and truth.  Thank you for the blessings you give us, help us to see them clearly.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment