Saturday, November 2, 2013

1 Thessalonians 3:12 “And may the Lord make you increase and abound in love for one another and for all, just as we abound in love for you.”

There are certain people that just rub me the wrong way, you know what I mean?  Generally speaking I let things roll off of me but once in a while a person comes along and I just have to step away.  When I read scripture like this passage in Thessalonians I am convicted.  I have not read anywhere in scripture that I am called to love those I like and ignore those I don’t.  It is easy to love the people we like and get along with.  How on earth can I move beyond the annoyances and love others, those who are abrasive to me, those who wish harm on me, those who harm this world and the kingdom of God?  Paul hit the nail on the head: may the Lord make me increase and abound in love.  It is only His love that can change my heart and soul to love others as he asks me to.  Stepping away may not be a bad thing but stepping forward in love would be better.  In this season of giving thanks I seek to be thankful for the thorns in my side and the annoyances that get my attention.  Those things keep me alert and draw me out of the fog of complacency.  With God’s help maybe they will help me increase and abound in love.
Lord,

Your wisdom humbles my heart this morning.  Open my heart to receive your love in abundance and strengthen me to share your love with all other people.  Through Christ I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment