Monday, November 4, 2013

1 Corinthians 3:3 “for you are still of the flesh.  For as long as there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving according to human inclinations?”

Yesterday morning and again this morning my four year old was up before the sun and it took me a few minutes each time to remember that he is waking up at the same time he always does, my clock is what has changed.  I could feel the grumbling in my heart for those of us who have small children and animals that are not benefiting at all from this daylight savings thing.  It is easy to look at others and wish for what they have instead of what we have.  It is easy to look at others and condemn what they do or what they believe rather than to love them regardless of their actions or beliefs.  Paul calls the church to set aside our human inclinations and to seek relationship with God.  Their arguing with each other may not be the same argument we hold but both arguments are of the flesh.  If we can set aside our selfish human nature we are better able to embrace the holy presence and guidance of our Lord.  He will help us move from flesh to spirit if we will strive to live in his spirit.  As I sip my coffee, I feel the warmth of it and remember the warmth of the spirit of the Lord.

Lord,
Thank you for the sunrise to signal a new day.  As it comes over the horizon let it remind us to banish human selfishness and seek your love and light.  In this way we can live in your spirit and grow in your ways.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment