Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hosea 3:1 “The Lord said to me again, ‘Go, love a woman who has a lover and is an adulteress, just as the Lord loves the people of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.’”

The more I thought about this the more I struggled with it.  Could I do what Hosea does to show the love of God?  Could I go downtown, pick a male prostitute up and bring him home to be my husband?  What feelings of repulsion and anger, frustration and sorrow would fill my days?  What beauty and love would I find in the midst of all that other negativity if I allowed myself to see that person as a child of God?  God tells Hosea he loves the people even though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes.  That statement seems absurd to me but then again... When we lavish other gods with worship and love is that different than lavishing our love on something as silly as a donut or a tart?  None of those gods will supply our needs or love us back in any way.  As God calls Hosea into relationship with a broken woman, He calls his broken people into relationship with him.  He takes us as we are and loves us into a new person, redeemed and restored through his steadfast love.  He calls us to be his love to other broken people so they, too may learn of his love.

Lord,
Help me look past the repulsive behaviors and see that all people are loved by you.  I lift those lost souls up to you this morning knowing that I was lost and now am found.  I pray they will come and be found through your love.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment