Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Ephesians 5:20 “giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

As we approach the national day of Thanksgiving I know several people to write about being thankful each day this month on their Facebook pages.  I have seen thanks for warm houses and shelter on these c old nights and thanks for love of family and friends.  There has been thanks given for health and healing as well.  I am thankful for songs and music, the laughter of children and warmth of their hugs.  I am thankful for my family and the love we share with each other.  I could go on and on about the blessings I am thankful for.  Where I struggle is in the phrase “at all times and for everything”.  When my day is filled with strife and my heart is heavy it is difficult to give thanks but this is what Paul says we are to do.  When tears of despair or the pain of illness overtakes us we are to give thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.  When I look back at past trials I am able to be thankful but I confess, when I am in the midst of it all, there is room to grow in this for me.  This morning I lift a prayer to the Lord for those who struggle with giving thanks.

Lord,
I thank you for all you give to us; you are gracious beyond understanding.  Please lift the hearts and heads of your children who suffer.  Help them feel your love and peace filling them so they are able to give thanks to you wherever they are and whatever they go through.  I come and ask all these things through Christ, our Lord.   Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment