Sunday, November 3, 2013

Proverbs 17:22 “A cheerful heart is a good medicine, but a downcast spirit dries up the bones.”

Whew, a rough night of sleep often gives me a downcast spirit and last night was one of those.  A movie I just saw was running through my mind, concerns I hold in my heart about my young daughter and the many tasks I have to do were just a few of the things keeping me from sleeping soundly.  When I woke up my son was already awake and so my quiet time was less than quiet and I was less than cheerful.  I struggled to hear the Lord or find a scripture reading that would work for me so I stepped away for a few minutes.  When I practically tripped over this verse I knew the Lord was nudging me.  I could choose to feel tired and grumpy or I can choose to look for the sunshine in the day.  I can choose to allow every little annoyance to push me or I can choose to let the grace of God flow into and through me.  It is only the love of the Lord that will give me a cheerful heart under any circumstance.  Allow a cheerful heart to fill your chest and bring that good medicine to your soul.  Only then can you spread that love to others and bring the medicine of cheer to them as well.

Lord,

Lift the sleep from my eyes and allow me to bask in your love and light.  Remove the clouds of downcast spirit and fill my heart with the medicine of good cheer from your Spirit.  I ask these things so I can remain your faithful disciple and so I can bring that good medicine to others.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment