Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Hosea 14:8 “O Ephraim, what have I to do with idols?  It is I who answer and look after you.  I am like an evergreen cypress; your faithfulness comes from me.”

I love evergreen trees.  I have lived in Colorado all of my life and there is nothing like the smell of an evergreen tree warmed by the sun.  They stand tall and true and they do not change with the seasons like so much of nature does.  I had not heard this verse before but I like the analogy of the evergreen tree and God.  He is unchanging and always true.  He towers over us but brings shade and comfort.  During the season of winter in our souls, He is still there, tall and true, comforting and sheltering; unchanging.  There are not many things in life that are constant; God is.  When we finally lay down our idols, the works of our hands and our selfish desires and turn once more to the Lord, we see His grandeur and beauty anew.  We see with fresh eyes that He has always been there, constant and true, faithful to the end.  I hope when we go out into the world that whenever we see an evergreen tree we are reminded of God.  I know I can always use one more reminder through my day.

Lord,
Thank you for the beauty of nature and thank you for evergreen trees.  Use these trees and whatever else you can to keep our eyes and hearts focused on you and away from the idols that distract us so easily.  Give us hearts of faithfulness grown from your faithfulness to us.  I pray all this in the name of Jesus, our Lord and Savior.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment