Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Hebrews 12:14-15 “Pursue peace with everyone, and the holiness without which no one will see the Lord.  See to it that no one fails to obtain the grace of God; that no root of bitterness springs up and causes trouble, and through it many become defiled.”

I have written about my garden before but I couldn't help writing about it again.  Gardening is not a passive pursuit, at least not in Colorado.  The plants I want to grow need nurturing and tending.  I need to go out there and water and prune and harvest regularly.  I could grow weeds without even trying; I think weeds will grow anywhere!  If I am not careful they sneak in between my good plants.  Their roots go deep into the soil tangling with the roots of my plants.  The roots of bitterness mentioned in these verses work the same way.  They sneak their way into our hearts without us every realizing it and they begin to uproot the good fruits that are growing in us.  They can defile the fruit that comes from our hearts and in turn defile the hearts of others we pass that bitterness on to.  This is why we come to the Lord.  He is the Master Gardener and will destroy any bitter roots that cause trouble to our spirit.  When we come to the Lord, we pursue peace and we seek his holiness; in turn we are able to go forth pursuing peace with everyone.

Lord,
Search our hearts for bitterness and trouble.  Prune and tend our hearts with your peace and holiness so that we are able to pass those blessings on as you call us to.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment