Sunday, September 29, 2013

2 Kings 22:11 “When the king heard the words of the book of the law, he tore his clothes.”

Earlier in this chapter scripture says “He did what was right in the sight of the Lord... he did not turn aside to the right or to the left.”  When the book of the law was discovered and brought to the king, he was forlorn.  He went into mourning for his nation and then he systematically went through the nation eradicating the idols and places of worship that were not for the God of gods.  He scrubbed his nation clean of sin as much as he could.  Years ago I went on a spiritual retreat.  My spiritual director at the time (I didn't call her that but she was that) gave me a ritual to follow so I could release the past that haunted and taunted me and begin to move forward anew.  In a way, it was a ritual to eradicate the “idols” and things that kept me from worshipping the one true God.  The symbolism was powerful at the time and I can still remember that moment of release.  As I look at my life currently, I realize there are things that are, again, keeping me from worshipping in truth.  Are there idols in your life and heart?  Are there things you need to eradicate from your world?

Lord,
You know our hearts and you know we long to worship you in truth and in light.  We come to you seeking guidance and cleansing so that we can release those things that keep us from living fully in you and in your kingdom.  Help us move closer to you each day until the day you come.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment