Thursday, July 4, 2013

Romans 6:22 “But now that you have been freed from sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is sanctification. The end is eternal life.”

Romans 6:22 “But now that you have been freed from sin and enslaved to God, the advantage you get is sanctification.  The end is eternal life.”

I struggle with an understanding of human slavery.  Even our founding fathers owned slaves.  If the owner was kind, maybe it would be okay.  You had a place to live, food to eat and work for the day.  It would almost seem normal but you had to earn your keep for sure.  Some slave owners were not so kind.  They treated their slaves worse than animals.  During that time in US history freedom was a luxury not everyone knew and it certainly wasn't free.  Our soldiers today still fight for freedom.  Freedom from sin is a gift from God.  Sin shackles us, chains us and keeps us down with weights threatening to drown us.  When we follow God we are freed from those chains and shackles.  Being enslaved to God is not God locking us down, it is a choice to live in Him.  We are free to run to him and we are free to run away.  The question is why would we run away?  When we stay “enslaved” to him, we experience true freedom and when we turn away, we become enslaved to chains and shackles of sin again.  I choose God, I choose his sanctification and I sing praises today for all my freedoms!

Lord,
Let me not take freedom for granted, you give it freely but there was a price paid by Christ for my freedom.  I live in the land of the free, help me honor the freedom I have been so graciously given.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment