Friday, July 19, 2013

Luke 6:31 “Do to others as you would have them do to you.”

This verse is a biggie in my house.  I think I quote it to my kids at least once or twice a week, sometimes more on a bad week.  When I hear “well he...” or “well she...” I know something is being blamed on someone else.  Teaching my kids to work together is not an easy task and too many times they are fighting over the same toy, the couch in front of the TV screen or some other meaningless thing.  I remind them that we need to treat each other the way we like to be treated.  Do I treat others the way I would like to be treated?  The homeless person with a sign up asking for food or money... the youth with multicolored hair and numerous piercings... the business person standing in line with airs about them...  Would I like to have them turn their back on me?  Would I like to be ignored?  Would I like to be treated like I am a person of value just like everyone else?  I like to think I follow this “rule” but as I look deeper I realize there is much room for improvement.  As I preach this to my kids I hope I also hear and listen to these words several times a week so that they soak deep into my soul and become a part of me.

Lord,
Forgive me for closing my eyes to the people around me that are different.  Help me see them through the eyes of your love and then guide me to treat them as I would like to be treated; with value and as a treasured person of God.  Thank you for your word today.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment