Friday, July 26, 2013

John 1:22  ”Then they said to him, ‘Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?’”

John did not hesitate with his answer when they asked.  His answer was “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness...”  I thought about these questions for myself. There are many things I could say about myself; about who I am.  I am a mom and a wife.  I am a teacher and a musician.  I am a keeper of the home.  I am a child of God.  Actions speak louder than words though.  John’s actions were clear.  He was a preacher of the Word and the stories we have about him point us away from him and toward Jesus every time.  Do my actions match what I say about myself?  What are the reasons I do what I do?  Why do I teach and make music?  I enjoy most of what I do and am happy to claim those things as part of myself, but what is my true purpose?  I hope I do everything to honor the Lord and to serve His kingdom.  I want to glorify him in all I do and say.  The things I enjoy are gifts he has given me and so I strive to serve Him with those gifts.  Who are you?  What do you say about yourself?

Lord,
I know I am nothing without you.  All that I have and all that I am is because of you.  Thank you for the gifts of teaching and music, thank you for allowing me the opportunity to use those gifts to honor you.  As I go forth, help my actions and words leave no question as to who I say I am; I am yours.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment