Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Luke 2:30-32 “for my eyes have seen your salvation, which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples, a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for glory to your people Israel.”

I confess I have been caught up a bit in the game of what I want or need during this season of gift buying.  Each year I am asked to make a list of what I want and it really is hard to think of anything right away.  As I think on it little things come to mind and then a couple of bigger things and then it grows from there if I let it.  The same thing happens when I am buying gifts for others.  I want to give them more than they expect or surprise them with something they don’t have but would really appreciate.  This can be a very time consuming proposition.  What do we really need for Christmas?  In Luke Simeon sees the baby Jesus at the temple on the day of his presentation.  He has waited, a servant of God, all his life to see the fulfillment of prophecy and when he lays eyes on Jesus He praises God.  I can die happy and in peace now for I have seen...  what more could we want for Christmas?  These words from Simeon draw me back to the true meaning of Christmas.  As I bow to worship the Christ child I lay down my earthly desires and revel in the gift of salvation and redemption the God sent and I know I have everything I could ever want.

Lord,
Please forgive my lack of focus.  I know in my heart that this holiday, this Holy Day, is a celebration of you.  Draw my eyes and my heart away from packages and presents and focus them on the one true gift of Christmas, you.  Thank you for coming to earth for us.  Thank you for this gift!  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment