Sunday, December 15, 2013

Luke 2:10 “But the angel said to them, ‘Do not be afraid’ for see – I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people:’”

What are the sounds of joy to you?  I think of Carillon bells pealing from every tower and birds singing at the top of their lungs in the early morning, I hear laughter and squeals from small children and belly rolling laughter with tears of joy streaming down grown up faces.  I hear streams flowing and splashing over the rocks in its bed and trees whispering songs with the wind through their leaves.  I cannot imagine what the sound was that the shepherds heard that night in their fields.  I can almost see them sitting quietly in the dark night with only a neighbor shepherd to talk with, an occasional bleat of the sheep; just the usual watching of the flock with an ear listening for predators.  “An angel of the Lord stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them and they were terrified.”  I can imagine that!  In an instant the dark night turned brighter than day right in front of their eyes, the angel illuminating the field and their flocks; their robes and their faces.  The message was not lost on them though.  They heard it: “I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people:” Let the joy of the angels fill your heart today and join mine in songs of praise to God!

Lord,
I sing joy to the world in my soul because of this wondrous gift of Love you sent to us.  Lift our hearts in joy to you; allow us to step away from the hurts and troubles of today and just bask in the joy the angels sang of in the shepherd fields.  I lift our hearts up to you this morning Lord.  Thank you.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment